Sunday, June 28, 2015

"my quiet place"

"my quiet place" 12"x16" pastel on Uart 500  $125

It has been really hot here in the South! Most of us just stay inside or try to find a cool place to sit. My brother-in-law has designed and planted a beautiful garden around his home. When we go over to visit, I always take a walk through the garden and take photos. I took a couple of photos of this stone walkway. It was in the shade, cool and peaceful.



I went back another day and stood there and took in the space….. it felt good to me. So I did a quick 5"x7" study to see how I felt about painting the pathway. 

5"x7" pastel study on Italian Clay Pastel Premier paper

 I went home to my studio and pulled out a piece of Uart 500 paper, did a sketch and then an oil stain underpainting. 

sketch on Uart

oil stain underpainting

I needed to let it dry over night, so I decided to go ahead and pick my pastels and test them on scrap paper. I used all Terry Ludwig pastels, I love the square edges.  I did add a few more as I worked on the painting. 

I worked on the painting for several hours today and then went out to do an errand, came back and put the finishing touches on it. I'm happy with "my quiet place"





No comments:

Post a Comment