Monday, June 29, 2015

bio/artist statement revision

"early morning storm" 12"x16" pastel on Uart 500  $125

As I grow as an artist, it's important to understand my artistic intentions. I'm more comfortable expressing myself visually, but I understand the need to have an artistic statement in writing. So here is something that I have been working on. Comments are welcome.

Why am I an artist - I have always had an interest in the arts. As a child always drawing, coloring and painting. As I matured, painting became something that totally absorbed me. I feel I express myself better visually, rather than with words.

What inspires me - Nature inspires me. I have a great love for images of nature, in particular, birds, flowers, landscapes and the sky. The Impressionist painters, with the way they interpreted what they saw, and Vermeer, with his use of light - inspired an interest in painting.

How I paint - I went to college as a fine arts major. I wanted to experience many of the fine arts and chose to focus on painting. I started painting oils in college, later on working in watercolors, and currently working in pastels. What is wonderful about these three mediums is that you can use an oil stain and watercolors as an underpainting for the pastel. My paintings are combinations of oil stain/pastel, watercolor/pastel, and all pastel or watercolor.

What you should understand about me - My paintings are of images that I connect with. I, visually, tell you about these connections with color and light. I refer to my paintings as "pieces of me"

I grew up in Connecticut and attended Chamberlayne Jr. College and Massachusetts College of Art and Design in Boston, MA, graduating with a B.F.A. , majoring in painting. My work career was in floral design and retail management. After getting married and raising two children, I now live in Marietta GA. I sell my work privately  and through local art shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment