Monday, June 22, 2015

"Art For The Park"

"pumphouse" 11.5"x15.5 " pastel on Sennelier La Carte  $125

I've been asked again to participate in a local art show (Art for the Park), this fall, which benefits McFarlane Park, a local park nearby. It runs entirely on donations, so a portion of our sales from the show go to the park.  Last year I did not have any paintings from the park, so I thought I should get working on doing some now. It's been SO HOT here in GA, so I went over there early one morning to check it out and take some photos. I would love to have set up en plein air there, but with this heat, I was happy to work from photos in my studio. When it cools I will go back. 

rudbeckia

asters

oak leaf hydrangea

the pump house, original to the property

I chose these 4 photos to work from. I liked the angle of the light and the color in the flowers.  The pump house was my first painting. It took a couple of days to get the light and color right, but I was happy with the end result. I used Sennelier LaCarte paper for this one and decided to use it for all the paintings in this series. I love the soft edges I get with this paper.

"rudbeckia" 9.5"x12.5" pastel on Sennelier LaCarte  $80

"asters" 8"x10" pastel on Sennelier LaCarte  $60

Next I did the two florals, working just one sitting on each of these about 2-3 hours. I love the color in these two paintings and of course , flowers , one of my favorite images to paint. 

"oak leaf hydrangea" 11.5"x15.5" pastel on Sennelier LaCarte $125

I struggled with this 4th painting. I almost tossed it! I wanted to capture the angle of the light hitting the blooms and keep the painting soft. I didn't give up, I had an image in my head and worked on it for 2 days numerous sittings. I finally got to a point where I said….ok this is done. Sometimes you just don't know when the painting is done, you work on it too much and over work it. I didn't let myself get there!
If you are in Marietta GA Oct 1-2nd, 2015, the show will be Atlanta Country Club. I hope you will come see all the wonderful local art being shown and sold there.




No comments:

Post a Comment