Sunday, February 1, 2015

a walk in the woods

8"x10" pastel study

This past week I asked a friend to walk with me. With camera in hand we didn't have to go very far with the Chattahoochee River and Sope Creek close by. I have a whole different perspective when taking photos these days. I think more in terms of framing for a painting. I take a lot photos so I get feel for the area.

along the Chattahoochee River

This particular photo was interesting to me. I liked the the dried weeds, the tree line in the background and the sky was gray. I wasn't sure it would make a good painting, so I thought I would do a study. I wanted to challenge myself so I picked Mi-Tientes pastel paper which I don't like very much. It does not have as much tooth as the sanded paper I usually work on. I'm determined not to give up on this paper! I set to work laying in the basic shapes and darkest values. Layering the pastel and using fixative spray I ended up with a study that I was satisfied with. I think I will keep trying this paper…..


No comments:

Post a Comment