Monday, February 6, 2017

old....but not forgotten

5"x7" quick pastel study

Who isn't attracted to vintage buildings? I love them and am always taking photos with a future painting in mind. On a recent trip to Alabama, I took some photos of this forgotten home on the edge of a cotton field. I did some sketches to get familiar with the structure and also did the quick study above to work out some of my color ideas.
pencil sketch in my sketchbook

14"x14" pastel on mounted pastel premier 400
Here is the larger finished painting. I did a watercolor underpainting to cover up the white paper. I had a lot of fun painting in the grasses. Giclee prints will be available of this painting.

9"x12" pastel on multi media pastel paper.
I had fun with this one. The underpainting was nupastel and clear gesso to add extra texture to the paper. Then I used a little watercolor, let it dry and then put the pastel on top. 

another sketch from my sketchbook of a barn I saw on trip to Connecticut . When visiting , I drive by it all the time , so I have seen it all seasons and painted it before. I had fun with the multi media pastel paper and decided to use it again for this painting.

"winter's grey" 11"x14" pastel on multi media panel

For the underpainting, I did a  blue violet Crete color drawing and brushed it in with the clear gesso. Then I went back with some nupastel for some of the color and brushed that in with the clear gesso which left me with a lot of texture. I used Terry Ludwig and Great American pastels to finish it off. Giclee prints will be available of this painting.






No comments:

Post a Comment