Monday, February 6, 2017

painting some more animals

11.5"x15.5" pastel on Sennelier LaCarte sanded paper
"shaggy"

I really enjoy painting animals and birds. I try to capture their personality. Another reference photo from my trips to Connecticut. Again I drive by these cattle many times. They are Scottish Highland cattle. I love their long hair! This sanded paper is perfect for doing animals. I don't need an underpainting as there are several colors of paper to chose from. I mostly used Terry Ludwigs Box of Shades of Nature pastel plus some great American and Diane Townsend.
Here is my sketch

I have been asked to do several commission paintings of dogs and cats. If possible I try to meet the animal, photos don't always tell the truth, so I like to see the real thing!
Here's Lexxie! My neighbors cairn terrier, who I spend a lot of time around. I always start with the sketch. then go to the painting. Again I used the Sennelier sanded paper.

5"x7" pastel
sketch of Clementine and Cupcake to get familiar with the dogs. I met both of these sweet dogs.

Clementine is Cupcakes Mom.
Both paintings are 6"x6"



Meet Roxanne! A cute Tabby rescue cat. I did not get to meet Roxanne and had to work only from the photos I received from the client. I did several sketches and they decided which pose they liked.
this painting is 5"x7"


Meet Okra! this is my daughter's cat. She is part siamese and is a real sweet kitty
sketch in my sketchbook and the 8"x8" painting on black Sennelier sanded paper.
8"x8" pastel on a grey black Sennelier sanded paper

Ok last one for this blog post. If you know me , you know I am a fan of owls. Photo credit reference goes to Sagar Suresh from the OWL pages on FB. I actually did the painting first and then went back and did a sketch.

Hoot Hoot!





No comments:

Post a Comment