Saturday, February 18, 2017

Spring begins to show her face

14"x14"  mostly Terry Ludwig pastel on Pastel Premier 400

I'm always excited this time of the year when Spring begins to show her face

quince

pear tree

migrating cedar waxwings

We don't get much snow down here in Georgia....practically none. So when I see all the snow paintings my artist friends are doing, I'm a little jealous. I have to get inspired with the grey's and browns. I usually go to my collection of bird nests for some inspiration. 

I pulled this one out of the box and put it on a plate in my studio

 I chose Pastel Premier sanded 400 grit paper. I did a watercolor underpainting to cover the white of the paper and then added some clear gesso for added texture. The more I work with pastels , the more I prefer the rough surface where I can build up the layers of paint and pastel. So while it is cloudy and rainy out side, I can be inspired in my studio. Enjoy! Spring is on the way!





No comments:

Post a Comment