Sunday, March 22, 2015

the pathway back part 2..

"pathway back two" 9"x12" on Uart

  I spent a lot of time last night looking at other artist's work who inspire me. I don't think I am out of painting funk yet, but I am determined to spend time in my studio and work through this. It's just paper and if it's that bad I can just toss it or brush it out, spray it and start over.  It's pouring rain today, so it's a good day to be in my studio. I have some beautiful photos from my recent trip to Gibbs Garden. I decided to go through and find at least one that I could work with. 

photo from Gibbs Garden

I chose this one. It needed simplifying and I thought the creek could become a path ( yes…. the pathway back to my creative side!) I did some sketches to simplify the landscape and then did a watercolor underpainting.

watercolor underpainting

I struggled with this painting, brushed out areas, sprayed and kept working on it. I thought about Karen Margulis' recent blog about letting the painting work for you and that's exactly what I did. Eventually it came together. This year I have decided to really challenge myself as an artist. I think I am just focusing too much on all my goals. I need to just let myself paint and I will get back to where I want to be.


No comments:

Post a Comment