Wednesday, January 7, 2015

a new year

9"x12" pastel on Uart   $80

The new year has begun and I am happy to be back at my normal routines. Today I started a new six week session of 3 hour pastel workshops with Karen Margulis on how to use and take a better reference photo and composition. These workshops keep me focused on painting and Karen is such an inspiration! There is always room to grow with my art. I enjoy the company of other artists and we were all excited to start the class. Karen starts out with a talk, has handouts and usually refers us to a good art book. I keep a folder of all her handouts with photos so I can go back and refer to them.

Karen then gives us a demo - it's always amazing to watch her painting emerge.


some photos of Karen's progression

Then, we get to work. We had about an hour and half. I decided to use a photo that I had taken last spring at Gibbs Garden. It was cold outside and I wanted to think about being warmer. I had painted a 5"x7" of the photo last year. So I decided to paint a 9"x12" and see how my pastel skills had improved. Karen had us stop every 15 minutes to step back and look at our paintings. This really helped us to see what we needed to do as we progressed. At the end I went around and took a photo of everyone's painting.

class work

Here is my painting from a year ago

looking forward to next weeks workshop





1 comment:

  1. Great post Bonnie! Thanks for writing about the class. I can see the growth in your pastel paintings. Your hard work is paying off!

    ReplyDelete