Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Wild flower field

9"x9" wildflower field $70

Todays workshop with Karen Margulis was about what makes a good or bad reference photo and how to create depth in a painting. I decided to use a photo I had taken in Gibbs Garden last fall. 

reference photo
I loved the colors in the photo. I remembered how excited I was walking through the fields. I took several photos. I used Wallis warm belgium mist sanded paper 9"x12". I had only experimented on it , but thought it would be a good base for the fields.


I struggled with the painting in the workshop, the colors were dark and had lost their vibrance. So I brushed out areas of pastel, sprayed with fixative and went back to work on it. I got this far and had to stop.

 I pulled it out later when I got home and looked at with fresh eyes. I liked the area on the lower right, this was working for me. I decided to cut it down to 9"x9". The square format seemed better. I sprayed some more areas to rework. In the end I was happier with it, but I realized when I started the painting that I really did not have a good plan.



No comments:

Post a Comment