Saturday, January 10, 2015

pastel painting for today

Gibbs Garden 9"x12"  $80

My trips to Gibbs Garden over the last year have been for taking photos to paint from. I love going there with my friends!  This trip was March 2014. It was a beautiful sunny day and the daffodils were at peak. Seeing the photo brought back the emotions of the day. I decided to do a pen and watercolor sketch to work out the basic shapes and colors.

reference photo and sketch.

I used my favorite pastel paper - Uart 500 grit sanded. I did a pencil drawing and decided to use the watercolor for the underpainting. I wanted the painting to be bright and airy.



One of my goals for this year is to get better at composing a good photo. I'm going to paint from my own photos only and when the weather warms up, I will head outside and start painting plein air.



No comments:

Post a Comment