Monday, August 6, 2018

sky painting







"breathe" 12"x16" pastel on Pastel Premiere Italian clay 320
Coming home from church one morning the sky just took my breath away. I went right in and painted what I saw and felt.
I'm back...it's been awhile since I have posted here on my blog - life changes - but I am finally feeling more settled and set up some studio space for my pastels.When I struggle finding inspiration, I most always look to the sky - you know - got my head in the clouds - the sky is always changing and so full of emotion. Sunrise (each new day), sunsets (rest), sunny days and blue skies, overcast grey days and stormy skies. Sometimes I paint the sky from my imagination, sometimes from a series of reference photos I have taken. I prefer to use a rougher sanded paper.  My favorites are Uart dark 400, Pastel Premiere Italian clay 320 and Uart 320 (which I can use for an underpainting). Sometimes I will add clear gesso for added texture. I tend to be heavier with the pastels, more layers, and rarely blend a little with my fingers.

For practice and to keep myself loose, I will do quick small (3"x9" and 6"x6") pastels, not spending more than 20 minutes on each. 

6"x9" pastel on Uart dark 400
This quick pastel is from a photo my cousin shared with me.

9"x9" pastel on Uart dark 400 from a foggy morning walk

"beyond the trees" 9"x12" pastel on Uart 320 from another morning walk

"come like a storm" 12"x16" pastel on Uart dark 400 
Ezekial 38:9 You will go up, advancing like a storm; you will be like a cloud covering the land.

I usually take several photos of the same scene and focus more on the emotion I am feeling and then I just paint. Attaching bible scripture to the painting makes it more meaningful to me and the title will come from the verse.

I hope you enjoy my sky paintings. As always , comments are welcome. 







No comments:

Post a Comment