Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Hollister House Garden, Washington CT

Me....
During my visit to Connecticut in June, I went with a dear friend to the Hollister House Garden in Washington. It is an 18th century farmhouse set on 25 acres of fields, wooded landscape  and an old fashioned English garden. It was an overcast day, perfect for photos with minimal shadows and lots of inspiration for future paintings.
a few of my photos
From my reference photos , I started in my sketchbook working out some ideas.


There is a parking area, from there you walk up toward the house and out buildings. I couldn't resist painting the two red out buildings surrounded by trees and daisies. I worked out some sketches first, then painted.
sketchbook
sketchbook

12"x12"pastel on Uart dark 400

There is a stream running through the property - this is where I was most attracted. There was something so calming and I wanted to just stand there and enjoy the view and sounds. Standing in the English garden facing the hillside just past the steam.

"I lift my eyes to the hills"12"x16"pastel on Pastel Premiere Italian clay 320
Psalm 121:1-2 I lift my eyes to the hills - where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, Maker of Heaven and earth. 

Standing on the wooden bridge that went over the stream to the field, I looked up and down the stream and painted these two scenes.
"a good land" 9"x12" pastel on Uart 320
Deuteronomy 8:7 For the Lord your God is bringing you into a good land - a land with brooks, streams and deep springs gushing out into the valleys and hills.

"song for joy" 12"x16" pastel on Pastel Premiere Italian clay 320
Psalm 96:12 Let the fields be jubilant, and everything in them; let all the trees of the forest sing for joy.

I still have many more photos and memories from that day to paint from. I'm hoping to get back there this autumn to see the change of season with all it's color. 

I hope you enjoyed.




No comments:

Post a Comment