Monday, December 22, 2014

a walk in the snow…..

"a walk in the snow" 9"x12" $80

I'm tired of all the Christmas rush! I needed to take some time off and go to my studio and paint. It relaxes me - my mind is totally focused on the painting. I haven't had time to get out and take some new landscape photos for painting, but I really wanted to paint today. So I looked through my stack of winter reference photos.
reference photo and framed mini painting($75)

I had used this one before and painted a mini 2.5"x3.5" pastel. I loved the way it turned out, so I decided this would be a good one to paint larger. I pulled out a 9"x12" piece of sanded Uart paper and did a watercolor underpainting - I wanted the drips in the paint. 
watercolor underpainting

I had done all the work on the mini - blocking in the basic shapes and values - and used it as a guide for the larger painting. The larger painting came together easily.
Hopefully I'll be able to get out soon ( or sneak a trip to CT !) for some new winter photos. We don't get much snow in GA - but it's fun dreaming about a walk in the snow!



No comments:

Post a Comment