Tuesday, June 13, 2017

words about IAPS 2017 pastel convention in Albuquerque NM





6"x8" pastel on Pastel Premier Italian clay

International Association of Pastel Societies.  WOW - I had no idea... my teacher, mentor and friend, Karen Margulis, told me two years ago that I needed to go. So when it came time to sign up last year - I plunged forward. It was overwhelming trying to figure out what workshops/demos to sign up for. How many could I afford? How much could I absorb mentally? I decided on one demo each day for three days - keeping the afternoons open for the trade show and some painting. Now, I wish I would have signed up for a few more!
As the artists started arriving, the excitement began to build! It was so wonderful being able to put a FB image with the real person and having conversation with them. I made many new friends... Becky and Sharon and SO many more.
me, Becky and Karen at our favorite porch hangout

The quality of the work at the gallery !!!! - I went back 3 times to look - an inspiration to keep pushing forward with my pastel painting. The idea - that at IAPS 2019, I could possibly have one of my paintings there.
Paintings by Natasha Isenhour and Lyn Asselta


I took demos from Mike Beeman, Stan Sperlak, Marla Baggetta and helped Karen Margulis with handing out her teaching materials. I walked away with pieces of each artist to apply to my own painting - helping me to grow with my own style emerging. This community of pastel artists, like minded souls, always sharing and moving forward together.

In the early morning, Karen and I, would walk into old town Albuquerque, catching the morning light on the holly hocks and adobe buildings, a little plein air painting and lots of reference photos for future paintings.
a few of my reference photos
my 5"x7" plein air of the holly hocks
6"x8" pastel on Pastel Premier Italian clay from one of my reference photos

The only regret I have, was that I did not have a chance to go out and see the New Mexico landscape, to see it, feel it , paint it and take more photos. But I am already thinking about IAPS 2019.......
can you find my name?




















No comments:

Post a Comment