Tuesday, June 20, 2017

the low country of Hilton Head Island SC

"low country" 12"x16" pastel on Uart 320

From the desert of Albuquerque NM to the low country of Hilton Head Island SC. I came home from the IAPS pastel convention all inspired and headed to the oceanside. The oceanside is really my favorite place to go. Something always calls me there and I always feel peaceful when I get my feet in the sand.
It was hot, but the weather was perfect. I sat by the pool and walked on the beach. Perfect..right?
I brought along my single Heilman sketchbook pastel box. Easy to carry around and added some small pieces of Uart paper to do some quick studies. This one is 6"x8" and I painted while sitting by the pool.
This one is 6" x8" . I had just come back from a morning walk on the beach and painted this from a photo I had just taken. The sun was sparkling on the water and the colors were cool and soft in the early morning light. 


 
This one is 5"x7" , also from a photo on my morning walk.  I sat on my porch while it was all fresh in my head. I will use these smaller paintings as guides to paint larger paintings. The photo never really tells the true color and what the feeling was when I was there. 
On my way home I took several drive by photos of the low country from the car window. The post painting is from one of these photos. I wanted to paint it while the image was still clear in my head. I painted quickly..... Hope to get back to the oceanside again soon..... 


No comments:

Post a Comment