Monday, March 14, 2016

a word about sketchbooks

from my sketchbook
I have always kept some type of sketchbook. I still have the one I started when I was in college 40 years ago! I think of them more as art journals, because it shows a progression of my growth as an artist.  This year I was inspired by an artist, Gail Sibley, to keep a daily sketch book. She had kept a daily sketchbook with black pen drawings. I was so inspired by her drawings and looked forward to her postings on FB.  I decided to make the commitment myself this year.  So far I have to say , I have missed a few days, and try to make up with 2 drawings the next day. I chose to use black pen or an HB pencil to start, but I may add some other mediums as I move along.
These are some drawings from January. Sometimes I  would just draw things I saw around me and sometimes from my own reference photos that I might use later for a painting. I was uncomfortable at first, because some of the drawings were not great, but I knew that I would grow from this exercise.
January and February drawings
 and here almost up to current.
This is one of my favorite drawings. I have started a collection of vintage purple bottles. I really want to paint them, but glass is hard to paint! Drawing first…… then hopefully a painting will follow




No comments:

Post a Comment