Thursday, November 6, 2014

"autumn joy"……I had a plan

                                                "with the color of the leaves turning bright,
                                                                    To their delight.
                                                     Red and yellow with orange in sight"
                                                               (Lawrence S. Pertillar)

"autumn joy" 9"x12"

I had gone to Gibb's Garden last week with a friend. We had hit it at the perfect time - the maple trees were at their peak in autumn colors! I was so excited and felt connected to the images I was bringing home on my camera.


I had a plan - thanks to a recent workshop with Karen Margulis. I had a reference photo that I was passionate about. I did a simple thumbnail value sketch to work out the composition and values. I picked my color palette (adding a few along the way) and did a hard pastel with alcohol wash  underpainting to lay in the simple values. It was an "ah hah" moment. The painting came together. Everyone in our workshop ended up with a painting we felt good about.

I think this is my favorite of the autumn paintings I have done so far this season. It may be hard for me to part with - Those "pieces of me". I will have to paint more now that I have a plan!
 Thank you Karen Margulis! 


2 comments:

  1. Love this! Great job with your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Bonnie! Your passion and hard work are paying off! Beautiful job with your painting!

    ReplyDelete