Tuesday, May 5, 2015

"thoughts of Van Gogh"

9"x12" pastel on Uart 500 "thoughts of Van Gogh"

When I go for my daily walks with my Siberian Husky, I always keep an eye out and my iPhone ready to take photos that I can use for paintings. In my neighborhood we have these beautiful cypress trees. Every time I walk by them I am reminded of Vincent Van Gogh and his paintings of the cypress trees.

paintings by Vincent Van Gogh

I am very fond of the artists from the Impressionistic era, and they are who attracted me to painting. I was very fortunate to have gone to Paris to see many of their works at the Orsay Museum.  So, for todays painting, I thought I would try my hand at painting those cypress trees.  I decided on an oil stain underpainting.
oil stain underpainting

paints used
You have to let it dry overnight, so I had done this yesterday. I like the way the paint drips and try not to cover them up too much with the pastel. Tomorrow I head back to Gibbs Garden and hope to come home with some new photos for painting and may try to do some small plein air studies while I am there.

No comments:

Post a Comment